Sunday, October 30, 2011

Enroute to finding joy

Here's my plan.  Each day, I will post a daily observation, question, thought, or some other consequence of a random neuron fire in my brain. Each week, I will expand one of them into a (more) fully developed post.

Today's RNF (random neuron fire) occurred to me during an adult discussion group at church.  We were discussing the contradictions presented to us in the Bible in the context of Brian McLaren's book "A New Kind of Christianity" and how they can be seen as developments in human understanding of God and the divine.   One thing that has always bothered me about the Bible is that nothing has been added since the fifth (sixth?) century.  If one is to believe that the Bible is the Word of God, one wonders why He has been silent for 1500 years.    I can begin to understand the complexities of selecting newer texts, but it seems that even individual denominations do not have well established canons of modern teachings (except I suppose for the Book of Mormon).  So, my question is this:  What would we choose, if we were to identify modern day prophets and sacred and divine texts for today?

-posted by I.C. Rhodes

1 comment:

  1. oooh ... good one. I've often pondered this myself, actually. It is going to take a bit to compose a response - I may need to do it in stages!

    ReplyDelete