Thursday, November 17, 2011

Another WOTD


Word of the day is


Pangram, n.   a sentence, verse, etc, that includes all the letters of the alphabet.


The most famous pangram that I know is this one:   The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.


I first encountered this sentence in my "Personal typing" class in 10th grade, a class that was intended to give college-bound students the necessary proficiency to type term papers. Given how desktop computers have fundamentally altered the way we write documents, this class was probably among the most useful classes that I took in high school. Anyway, our typing teacher, whose name I do not recall, used the "Quick brown fox" sentence to demonstrate his typing prowess- he could type (at least that sentence) at truly impressive speeds.    I have always been a pretty speedy typist, although my accuracy is abysmal.  I figure that I can type about 60 words per minute, with approximately 2-3 of them actually correct.  This was a problem when I had to type directly onto paper, requiring me to buy reams of erasable typing paper for use with my first manual typewriter.  Later, in graduate school, we bought a used Smith-Corona with a built in correction ribbon which saved enormous amounts of both paper and time.  Of course, now with word processors, even I can turn out a pretty professional looking document not marred by excessive erasures or blotched with gobs of White-out.


But I digress.


After seeing this WOTD, I was intrigued by the idea of pangrams, so I tried my hand at writing a couple.  Just to make it interesting, I crafted them as haiku.


Why defend these poems?
Quirky, crazy brain teasers
Just vexing couplets.


here's another (that I already shared on this blog)


Quiet hazy dawn
exploring cornfields on bikes
Such joyful movement.


I love to play with words.  Here's another pangram with a funny new word:
pecksniffian: hypocritically and fervently affecting kindness or high moral principles.


Pecksniffian minx
quintessential hypocrite
vile showbiz judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment