Thursday, November 10, 2011

Goodnight rooms

Being lulled to sleep with the quiet whoosh whoosh of the dishwasher is one of my favorite things. Right after I go through the house and turn off lights and check doors ... and survey the undone projects ... I lie in bed, imagining myself being tossed by the sudsy waves, and say goodnight to all the rooms and the memories they evoke. With my eyes closed, there are no dust bunnies lurking in the corners. No petrified bits of cat barf. No fur-covered sofas. No piles of laundry.


Goodnight, pretty maple floors.

Goodnight, partially cleaned guest room with the curtain rod that still needs to be hung.

Goodnight, library filled with books.

Goodnight, flower-festooned walls upstairs.

Goodnight, slate tile over the landing floor my nephews built.

Goodnight, funky turquoise sink in my bedroom, surrounded by seashells and photos of special people.

Goodnight, drafty windows with the nifty latches.

Goodnight, rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment