Friday, November 25, 2011

Traveling Treats!


From a charming memoir titled “Cork Boat” by John Pollack comes this nugget:

One tale in particular really captured my imagination, a project [Gavin] called “Peripatetic Pancakes.”  A few years earlier, to celebrate his thirtieth birthday, he had hired a mule train to  haul four hundred pounds of pancake mix, syrup, jam, skillets, fuel, and other supplies a dozen miles into the Sierras of California.  There, he set up camp and for the next two weeks cooked free, all-you-can-eat pancakes for any and all passing backpackers.

What a great idea!  Gavin cooked up nearly 1000 pancakes for hungry hikers—feeding tummies, hearts and souls and spreading joy in syrup soaked silver dollar portions! 

I want to do that! 

So here’s my idea- a lot closer to home.  What if we go to the bike trails and set up a table to give out free cookies, candy,  and drinks?  Randomly.  How would people react?  What would they say?  Would they trust us enough to eat a home-made cookie? Should we try it?  Hmmm…..

2 comments:

  1. I too loved the Peripatetic Pancakes story ... random acts of cookies? I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for that story for years. I first read it in a magazine but I have never been able to find it since. Any ideas where I could find the full story?

    ReplyDelete